Recipes by Ingredient
Cheddar Cheese Crackers
Cheddar Cheese Cracker Recipe, submitted by Julie Wray of Hillsboro, winner of the Multnomah County Fair Oregon Dairy Farmers’ Delicious and Nutritious Cheese Recipe Challenge
1 stick of butter—room temperature
2 cups Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until well-mixed, about 10 times.
- Dump the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface, and use hands to bring it together, forming a ball of dough.
- If the consistency allows, roll the dough out into a very thin layer, about 1/8 of an inch. If the dough is too loose to roll, toss it into the fridge for 15 mins.
- Once rolled out, cut the crackers. You can use cookie cutters here if you would like fancy shapes, or a pizza cutter for basic crackers.
- Place the crackers onto a cookie sheet covered with foil or even better, a Silpat baking mat.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until the crackers start to get just golden on the edges.
- Place on a cooling rack until the crackers are no longer warm.
- Agree to never buy cheese crackers at the store again.
These crackers are so light and airy, you’ll wonder why you never made them before.
Corn Souffle, submitted by Julie Wray of Hillsboro
Multnomah County Fair 1st place recipe for the “NORPAC Down Home Favorites” recipe contest
1 can Santiam Cream Style Corn, not drained
1 can Santiam Whole Kernel Corn, drained
¼ cup milk
4 eggs, separated
2 T sugar
2 T flour
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
½ cup melted cheese
Mix everything together except egg whites. Beat egg whites for peaks. Fold into corn mixture. Pour into souffle pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 mins.
Cranberry Pumpkin Seed Bread
Cranberry Pumpkin Seed Bread, submitted by Lisa Loving of Portland
3 cups Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached Flour
1 cup oatmeal
2 T butter
1 ½ tsp salt
3 T honey
2 tsp. dry yeast
1 ¼ cups milk
¾ cups dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds (mixed)
In a large mixing bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer combine all of the ingredients, mixing until the dough just stays together. Knead by machine 5 minutes, until smooth. Place in lightly greased bowl, let rise until doubled. Form into log, place into greased bread pan; let rise until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees until hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom of the pan (25-30 mins).